The ABA TECHSHOW, edition #30, is taking place at the Hilton Chicago this week (March 16-19). The 2016 ABA TECHSHOW Planning Board is chaired by law practice management expert and Affinity Consulting partner Steven Best and features 18 educational tracks including 73 sessions, panels, plenaries and keynotes over multiple days. As past TECHSHOW attendees know, there are far too many sessions, events and conference extras to take-in, so here's our contribution of 10 to keep (or put) on your radar:
- Meet the Chair: The Digital Edge podcast hosts Sharon Nelson and Jim Calloway recently interviewed TECHSHOW 2016 Chair Steve Best to learn more about this year's conference, session highlights and hot issues affecting legal professionals. Check it out ... it's 20 minutes well spent. (And subscribe while you're there!)
- Session Mania: With so many sessions and so little time, here's a 'short' list of some of our faves:
- The Automatic Law Firm (Thursday, 9:00-10:00am)
- Lawyers as Entrepreneurs: It's Not Just About Doing Business panel (Thursday, 1:45-2:45pm)
- How to Hire Robot - Or Using Experts Systems in Today's Law Firm (Thursday, 1:45-2:45pm)
- The Deep Dark Web (Friday, 9:00-10:00am)
- TECHSHOW 2016 Keynote Cindy Kohn (Friday, 12:45-1:45pm)
- Data is the New Oil - Lessons from Standard Oil, Smart Diapers, and Uber for Law Firms (Friday, 3:45-4:45pm)
- 60 Tips, Tricks, Gizmos, Gadgets and Sites in 60 Minutes (Saturday, 11:30-12:30pm)
- Podcast Love Fest: The Legal Talk Network (LTN) crew is going 'bigger and better' in 2016 with a variety of TECHSHOW exclusives: 'Special Reports' is a series of podcasts recorded, produced and distributed directly from the expo floor, and 'Live from #TECHSHOW" streaming live interviews hosted by LTN podcasters Dennis Kennedy and Adriana Linares. The good folks at Legal Talk Network (booth 722) will also be live blogging and posting photos. Make sure to check out their TECHSHOW event page for details on podcast times, live streams and previous session podcasts.
- Special Events and 'Extra-curriculars' have always been a hallmark of TECHSHOW and 2016 is no different. In addition to a 30th anniversary celebration on Thursday night and a new opening reception in the exhibit hall Wednesday night, there are four special events planned during TECHSHOW week. These include a 'Tech for Justice Hackathon' and a Legal technology Innovators Showcase on the 15th.
- Meet the TECHSHOW Faculty: Whether it's getting a snapshot view of all 72 speakers and their 2016 sessions or finding their social media channels, this handy, online Faculty Directory has it all. Detailed faculty bios can be accessed here.
- ABA TECHSHOW Blog ... Walking Down Memory Lane: The conference blog has really kicked into high gear this year including the notable post series 'XX TECHSHOW's Ago' which features conference chairs' reflections from year 1-30. Start with Don Hagans' '30 TECHSHOWs Ago' post from 1986 and work your way forward.
- Taste of TECHSHOW: The Taste of TECHSHOW Dinners have evolved into a definite conference value add over the years. When do you have the chance to dine with session speakers and conference attendees who share the same tech obsessions and interests as you? 20 separate dinners will be held Friday night and span an array of technology topics and application areas.
- Conference Mobility: The ABA TECHSHOW Conference App is available on multiple platforms and will help you map out your TECHSHOW plan. Download it now.
- Social Media: "Don't knock it till you try it." Follow #ABATECHSHOW or @ABATECHSHOW for the latest and greatest Twitter activity as well as our coverage at @InsideLegal. Also be on the lookout for loads of informative blog posts and live blogging throughout the week.
- 'A cloud is worth a 1,000 words': This year we decided to emulate our annual LegalTech NY exercise of creating the first conference agenda word cloud for TECHSHOW in order to provide visual clues of what topics are hot and which ones are not.
For everything attorney tech education-related, ABA Law Practice Division's TECHSHOW won't disappoint. Check out the 12 page conference brochure before you enter the Hilton Chicago.