Where you can find us this week:
- Co-Producing LexThink.1: Our 5th annual Ignite-inspired innovation forum is kicking-off TECHSHOW Wednesday night ... Join us on site or online (Twitter) to discuss the 'End of Irrelevance' and get a head start on talking tech and innovation at TECHSHOW.
- Honoring our friend and legal technology legend Ross Kodner with a friends-only gathering at the Hilton Chicago
- Chatting up new TECHSHOW vendors for our 'New Kids on the TECHSHOW Block' Series ...
- Asking the “What do you think about big data and how might it rock your world?” question of our consultant friends, attendees, vendors and fellow ABA Big Data Committee members.
- Catching up with old/new friends at Friday's Beer for Bloggers gig graciously hosted by Kevin O'Keefe and ABA Journal
The annual ABA TECHSHOW takes place March 27-29, 2014, at the Hilton Chicago. This will be our 15th year attending ABA TECHSHOW and it remains one of our favorites. Why? It is the single largest 'reunion' of the brightest and most experienced legal technology minds including countless independent legal technology consultants, practice management advisers from 17+ state bar associations and value added law firm technology partners. In addition, the entire conference & expo program is focused on legal technology and how law firms ranging from solos to the 'AM Laws' can maximize current and future legal tech investments. You'll see them mentioned in more detail below, but a few 'cult'-like program staples include the Concierge Desk (manned by TECHSHOW Faculty providing attendees hands-on advice and guidance); 'Taste of TECHSHOW' faculty-led Dinners; the annual Beer for Bloggers social and the oft imitated '60 in 60 series' including '60 Tips', '60 Apps' and the annual TECHSHOW finale '60 Sites in 60 Minutes'.
The 9 member 2014 ABA TECHSHOW Planning board, which managed to assemble a 18 Track, 64 session & keynote program, is led by Natalie Kelly (pictured), Director of the Georgia’s Bar Law Practice Management Program in Atlanta. When she's not chairing TECHSHOW (aka, an exercise in herding technology-savvy cats), Natalie provides practice management and technology consulting to the members of her bar, and is a frequent writer and presenter on various legal technology topics around the country.
LexThink.1: For the 5th year, LexThink.1 will be held Wednesday night, officially kicking off the ABA TECHSHOW 2014. If you haven't attended LexThink.1 in the past, check it out this year. LexThink.1 starts at 7pm, but come early and join us and our co-producer Matt Homann at 6pm for the official ABA TECHSHOW Opening Reception.
TECHSHOW Exhibit Hall: This year, 113 companies (112 in 2013) will exhibit their wares at TECHSHOW, with an astounding 31% having 'first-timer' status. This is extremely exciting news for anyone looking for new tech, trends and innovations as it relates to law firm practice. At first glance, cloud technology, and specifically cloud-based practice and case management solutions seem to lead the charge. Also, TECHSHOW now offers a free expo pass allowing entry into the exhibit hall and certain sessions/programs such as the 'Meet the Authors' series and others.
The Solutions Lab: A new addition to TECHSHOW 2014 is the Solutions Lab which will provide a venue for attendees to get answers to their technology issues. Centrally located in the lobby of the Northwest Hall, the Solution Lab will be staffed by Practice Management Advisors, members of the Legal Technology Resource Center staff and board and TECHSHOW speakers. Bring your questions about the legal technology issues facing your practice and Solutions Lab volunteers will do their best to provide the answers.
Keynote: Rick Klau will be keynoting Friday, 12:45pm–1:45pm. WestLawNext is sponsoring the keynote and is hosting a Meet & Greet with Rick directly after (1:45-2:30) in the Thomson Reuters booth #307.
Legal Networking with Tom Mighell: The iconic TECHSHOW speaker/past Chair and author of “iPad in One Hour for Lawyers,” shares tips for using iPad at work at this networking event for legal professionals. Join Tom tonight (3/26, 6PM) at the Apple Mac store on Michigan Avenue.
Meet the Authors: An often 'under appreciated' TECHSHOW program that offers valuable networking and introduction opportunities is the "Meet the Authors" series. Here is the schedule for the program and you can attend with the Free Expo Pass:
- Thursday, March 27; 11:30 AM-12:30 PM; Carole Levitt and Judy Davis – Authors of “Internet Legal Research on a Budget”
- Friday, March 28; 10:15 AM – 11:30 AM; Ben Schorr: Author of “The Lawyer’s Guide Microsoft Outlook 2013″
- Friday, March 28; 10:15 AM – 11:00 AM; Ruth Carter – Author of “The Legal Side of Blogging”
- Friday, March 28; 1:45 PM – 2:30 PM; Ernie “the Attorney” Svenson author of “Adobe Acrobat in One Hour for Lawyers”
- Friday, March 28; 1:45 PM – 2:30 PM; Paul Unger – author of “Powerpoint in One Hour for Lawyers”
- Thursday, March 27; 3:00 PM – 4:00 PM; If you’re interested in becoming an author for the Law Practice Division, don’t miss Publishing Board Chair Tom Mighell’s “How to become an LP author” session.”
Taste of TECHSHOW Dinners: The Taste of TECHSHOW Dinners have involved into a definite conference value add over the years. When do you have the chance to dine with session speakers and conference attendees who share the same tech obsessions and interests as you? Dinners are held Thursday and Friday night and span an array of technology topics and application areas.
Conference App: The ABA TECHSHOW Conference App is available on multiple platforms and will help you map out your plan for TECHSHOW. If you have not already, download it and it will help you navigate TECHSHOW.
Social Media: "Don't knock it till you try it" Follow #ABATECHSHOW or @ABATECHSHOW for the latest and greatest Twitter activity. Also be on the lockout for loads of informative blog posts (like this one) throughout the conference. InsideLegal will be tweeting @InsideLegal.
See you this week!